Newest Additions
Food Adventures in Eugene
February 5th, 2013
in Eugene

Oregon, my Perspective
Rants, raves and pictures.
February 5th, 2013
in Portland

Outside The Interzone
Miscellaneous thoughts on politics, people, math, science and other cool (if sometimes frustrating) stuff from somewhere near my favorite coffee shop.
September 1st, 2012
in Corvallis

10 Bloggiest Oregon Cities
Portland (Many)
Corvallis (93)
Eugene (88)
Bend (64)
Salem (43)
Beaverton (40)
Hillsboro (23)
Astoria (19)
Ashland (12)
Tigard (10)

More Cities »
Other Oregon Aggregators
ORblogs 2.0
Bend Blogs
ORblogs R.I.P - Thanks Paul!
Portland Bars
Advertisements
Oregon Wine Tours
Portland Interior Design
Oregon Photographer
Jobs in Portland
Buy Gable Vents
Rounded Gable Vents
The Worst Bar in Portland
Portland New Years
Business Attorney Portland
Oregon Wineries
Trivia/Pub Quiz Questions
DUI Attorneys Portland
Dean Kirkland

Vintage Portland

http://vintageportland.wordpress.com/

Located in Portland

Last update: September 19th, 2014 at 06:00 am

ping: http://ignoregon.com/ping/1922

185 post clicks in the past 90 days

A photo blog exploring Portland's past through historical images.

The City Photographer took this image on NW 3rd Ave. between Hoyt St. and Glisan St. to document sewer repair work. This image documents a specific Federal WPA project.   View this image in Efiles by clicking here.Filed under: 1930s, 3rd Avenue, Glisan Street, Hoyt Street, Southwest

[0 clicks]

This image documents the organization of Depression era public works crews at Stanton Yard. The City of Portland oversaw programs that spent local, state, and federal money to put large numbers of unemployed residents to work. Projects were as far flung as the Wilson River and Wolf Creek Highways. This image was taken April

[0 clicks]

Construction of the fire drill tower began in 1935. In this image we see the beginning stages. The tower is located at SE Milwaukie Ave. and SE Powel Blvd. You can see part of the completed tower in the previous post about the vehicle inspection station on SE Powell and Milwaukie.     View this […]

[0 clicks]

In this image is a view of the first Morrison Bridge,looking east during the 1894 flood. The river is sitting at a high level not far from the bridge’s deck.     View this image in Efiles by clicking here.Filed under: 1890s, Bridge, Morrison Bridge

[0 clicks]

The image you see today was sent in by Brian Rollins. The photo was taken at the foot of Stark Street before the seawall was constructed. The boy on the right is William Kerr.  The four boys took the sloop from downtown on a voyage down to Astoria and back. Keep in mind that the boys […]

[0 clicks]

This aerial from 1935, gives us a great view of the ships arriving at the Portland waterfront for the rose festival. In this image we see the old (second) Morrison Bridge, the Burnside Bridge, and the Steel Bridge. This is a wonderful example of what the waterfront once looked like before the waterfront park existed. [̷

[0 clicks]

This photograph was captured at Nu Food Products kitchen located at 5757 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Here we have an interior view of the work area with four workers. The date of this image is circa 1931.   View this image in Efiles by clicking here.Filed under: 1930s, Northeast, Uncategorized

[0 clicks]

In this image we see children and recreation directors gathered with garbage cans and bundles of paper for Guilds Lake Clean Up week. This photograph was taken on July 28, 1944 as a part of the Housing Authority of Portland series of photos documenting life in the various housing units.     View this image […

[0 clicks]

This image was taken after the widening of SE Belmont Ave was completed. We are looking east on SE Belmont St. near SE 8th Ave. In this image you can see signs for East Side Food Center/Grand Central Public Market, Dolan Wrecking Co., and Richfield on the far right side of the street.     […]

[0 clicks]

Mayors and bikes have a long history in Portland. The man sitting on the tricycle is former mayor Earl Riley. Can anyone name the other men in this image?   View this image in Efiles by clicking here.Filed under: 1940s, Downtown, Southwest

[0 clicks]

The number man is standing close to the Harbor Wall near Davis St., with the Steel Bridge in the background to the north. The structures on the left side of the image are on Front Ave.     View this image in Efiles by clicking here.Filed under: 1930s, Bridge, Northwest, Number Man, Steel Bridge, Uncategorized

[0 clicks]

Montavilla Park pool, August 16, 1935. This photo was taken as part of series documenting the State Emergency Relief Administration of Oregon project titled: Recreational – Summer 1935. “The purpose of this project was to provide recreational supervision and direction for all ages – particularly the unemployed you

[0 clicks]

The Vintage Portland staff is taking Thanksgiving week off. We’ve recently passed our four-year anniversary with almost 1,000 entries so we’ll be back next week refreshed and ready to go again. Enjoy!Filed under: Uncategorized

[0 clicks]

Just an absolutely brilliant photo of the Ross Island Bridge under construction. The view is to the northeast as the main span girders are joined in the middle. Although it’s mystifyingly dated 1937 on the front, this is almost certainly 1926, as the bridge opened in December of that year.  (City of Portland Archive

[0 clicks]

Our Number Man finds himself standing on the sunny corner of NE Union Avenue & Russell Street in 1929. The same building can be seen down the street in this previous post. (City of Portland Archives)Filed under: 1920s, Northeast, Number Man, Russell Street, Union Avenue

[0 clicks]

This scene along SE 28th Avenue near Eastmoreland shouldn’t be too far from our previous photo along 28th. The white house in the distance on the right may be at SE Schiller Street. (City of Portland Archives)Filed under: 1920s, Southeast

[0 clicks]

SE Foster Road west from 66th Avenue presented a quaint and neighborly feel back in 1923. A laundry, barber, real estate office and ice cream were available here as people came out to chat or just catch a bit of sun. (City of Portland Archives)Filed under: 1920s, Foster Rd., Southeast

[0 clicks]

This dapper gentleman struck a pose with his car in the Northwest industrial area of Portland in 1928. Although labeled as “NW 14th & Lovejoy,” this location could be open to debate. Is that a salesman’s sample case on the ground? (City of Portland Archives)Filed under: 1920s, Northwest, Number Man, P

[0 clicks]

Our Number Man probably indicates that an East Burnside street widening project is not too far in the future. The business names have changed at the intersection with SE 14th Avenue but the buildings remain intact today. (City of Portland Archives)Filed under: 14th Avenue, 1920s, Burnside, Number Man, Southeast

[0 clicks]

NE 82nd Avenue was little more than a rutted, single-lane path north of Sandy Blvd in 1928. A nice brick confectionery shop on the northeast corner and new construction on the northwest corner signaled future growth for the area. The patchwork paving on Sandy probably shows the dividing line between city property on the lef

[0 clicks]

Mr. Olsen’s tidy watchmaking shop was at 734 Alberta Street in 1932. After the soon-to-follow street renumbering project, this became 2110 NE Alberta. The building still stands. (City of Portland Archives)Filed under: 1930s, Alberta Street, Northeast

[0 clicks]

SW 10th Avenue was a two-way street in 1921. Here it passes in front of the 1913 Central Library on the right, looking south from Yamhill Street. (City of Portland Archives)Filed under: 10th Avenue, 1920s, Downtown, Streetcar, Yamhill Street

[0 clicks]

Our Number Man is standing on the west side of NE Union Avenue in this circa 1929 photo. The building currently at 2225 NE MLK is probably the same building; it’s got some detailing updates but the basic structure of the building looks the same. (City of Portland Archives)Filed under: 1920s, Northeast, Number Man, Uni

[0 clicks]

Just three blocks east on Morrison Street from yesterday’s feature, this grand home once stood. This looks northwest at the corner of 12th Avenue. (City of Portland Archives)Filed under: 12th Avenue, 1920s, Morrison Street, Southeast

[0 clicks]

Automobile shops ruled the corner of West Burnside at Broadway in 1933. In fact automobiles were big business up and down Burnside at this time. This building is on the northwest corner; you can see a few trees in the North Park Blocks to the left. (City of Portland Archives) Filed under: 1930s, Broadway, Burnside, […

[0 clicks]

The east end of Hayden Island is shown in this 1973 aerial photo where it meets Tomahawk Island, now joined together. Tomahawk Island was once named Sand Island and was the site of the Lotus Isle amusement park referenced in yesterday’s post. The pilings at bottom center are remnants of the bridge that joined Lotus [&

[0 clicks]

Lotus Isle, the “Million Dollar Pleasure Paradise” was a short-lived amusement park on Tomahawk Island. Meant to compete with Jantzen Beach, the park, opened in 1930, was mismanaged and plagued by misfortune. A 1933 fire destroyed virtually all traces of the park. From the small Lotus Isle Park on the site today

[0 clicks]

City crews work on the NW 10th Avenue ramp that lead from the old Lovejoy Street ramp down to street level. Both were removed in 1999 in a process that turned this former industrial/rail center into today’s Pearl District. (City of Portland Archives) Filed under: 10th Avenue, 1950s, Lovejoy Street, Northwest, Pearl, R

[0 clicks]

The majestic St. Johns Bridge fades into the Oregon mist in this 1937 image. The view is to the east from on (or above) St. Helens Road. The remains of some of those pilings may still be in the river today. (City of Portland Archives) Filed under: 1930s, Bridge, Northwest

[0 clicks]

The new Broadway Building on the northwest corner of SW Broadway and Morrison Street was highlighted in this full-page feature in The Oregonian, January 1, 1914. It’s now called the Pioneer Building. The “Gray’s” seen on the corner sign and in the windows refers to the former R.M. Gray men’s

[0 clicks]